THE PROFILE OF MR UGWUOKE IKECHUKWU MAXIMUS, WELFARE SECRETARY NBA NATIONAL 2022

THE PROFILE OF MR UGWUOKE IKECHUKWU MAXIMUS, WELFARE SECRETARY NBA NATIONAL 2022

Mary Akanbi
26th June, 2022


My name is Ugwuoke Ikechukwu Maximus a candidate for National Welfare Secretary of NBA prepared to serve  under the mantra "MAXIMUS 4 MAXIMUM WELFARE".

I am conscious of the humanitarian spirit which runs in my veins to seek others’ welfare. This is the tie that connects me with every member of the Nigerian bar and propels me to seek their maximum welfare. 
I am from Enugu bar, I was born on 4th February 1981. I hail from Umabor Ehalumona in Nsukka L.G.A. Enugu State of Nigeria.

I am  happily married with children. I commenced my formal Education at OPS  Ehalumona, Nsukka LGA where I obtained my FSLC in 1993. I proceeded to St Teresa’s College Nsukka, where I  obtained WASC in 1999. I barged my LLB Hons from University of Nigeria Nsukka (Enugu Campus) in 2006. I proceeded to Nigerian Law School Abuja where I  obtained my B.L in 2008 and was called to the Nigerian Bar in May 2008. 
In thesame 2008 I  proceeded to Nasarawa State for my National youth service and obtained my NYSC certificate. I have a Certificate of Proficiency in Management from Nigerian Institute of Management. I have  a Certificate of Proficiency in Universal Mandatory IT Training (UMITT). 

I grew up with passion for selfless service. My passion for service to others started early in life while I was in the University where I  held various leadership positions like the Lord Chancellor of the Most Ancient Romanic Order of Magna Juris, & Head of Gret Chambers University of Nigeria Students Bar Association (UNSBA). I was the Founding Editor in Chief of "The Legalogue" (University Of Nigeria Students' Bar Association Journal). At that time I also played active roles the  Students Union Government as the Clerk of the house.
Upon my call to the Nigerian Bar in 2008, I commenced legal pupilage at Keffi,  Nasarawa State in the chambers of Ogwuche & Co. That was during the period of my NYSC. During my pupilage I undertook some cases of indigent prisoners in Nassarawa State on probono as my Community Development Project and was able to secure the release of about 10 of the inmates before the end of my service year; the project earned me Nasarawa State NYSC Commendation Award. I promoted an NGO, Initiative for Human and societal Development in Africa.
In 2009 I  joined the Law firm Ikeazor Akaraiwe SAN, Akaraiwe & Associates, (Lex Rehoboth partners) a world class and full-service law firm which has produced  many lawyers currently well established in their different career pursuits .  I headed the Human Rights and Probono Department of the firm and also doubled as the Personal Assistant to my Principal, Akaraiwe SAN who was then serving his tenure as the National 1st Vice President of the Nigerian Bar Association and the pioneer chairman of Nigerian  Bar Association Human Rights Institute at that period. During the period I  traversed the length and breadth of the country handling human right cases too numerous to mention  some which were referred to the NBA Human Rights Institute by the then leadership of NBA led by Rotimi Akeredolu SAN. As the head of the Human Rights Department and Probono of  the firm, I was privileged to have led or participated in some of the major groundbreaking human right cases or researches that have shaped the human right enforcements in Nigeria through the services I rendered to the NBA Human Rights Institutes, and reputable  National and International human rights NGOs such as Legal Defence Assistance Project (LEDAP) and Avocats San Frontieres France (ASFF). Noteable among these case I handled were 1. LEDAP V. NIGERIAN ARMY & 4 ORS FHC/EN/M/344/2010 A case of Torture and inhuman treatment meted to an 80 years old man which led to his blindness by a member of Nigerian Army in 2010. I  secured favourable Judgement leading to award of compensation to victim at the Federal High Court Enugu. 2. CHIKA IBEKU V IGP & 5ORS FHC/PH/12119/2009 a Case involving repentant militants (DeeWell Group) extra judicially killed in police custody after they responded to Amnesty granted to them in River state. Amnesty International had interest in this case and I secured and Order of Court for the police to produce the victims dead or alive. 3. JOSIAH ENEMCHI AZORO  V. IGP & ORS FHC/EN/141/08 A Case of Bread winner of Family of seven tortured to Death by police and Lawyer detained for daring to demand the whereabouts of the victims. 4. UGWUOKE V. MINISTER FOR EDUCATION & 12 OTHERS FHC/EN/M/334/2010 -a Case where I  dragged the five South Eastern Government to Court on behalf of the students of the South East Universities over varsity strike. Others are  suit numbers FHC/EN/M/2392011, case involving the Enugu fuel tanker explosion case that claimed the lives of many family members who were  burnt to ashes. FHC/EN/M /240 /2011 a case where I was one of the applicants that  sued  Federal Government of Nigeria and others over the killings and insecurity of lives of members of the National Youth Service Corps. I also championed the case of thirty (30) widows rendered homeless by the Enugu State Government/ Housing Development Corporation at Real Estate Enugu.
In 2012, I  founded El- Maximus Ugwuoke & Co, Hakuna Matata Chambers, a full time legal service firm with cooperate headquarters in  Enugu where I have remained the principal partner with about 8 associate counsel till date. 
Currently I am  the Enugu State Support Lawyer for Avocats Sans Frontieres  (ASF) France, (a.k.a Lawyers without Borders) an International Human Rights NGO implementing a project tagged SAFE - Strengthening the national Actor’s Capacities and Advocating for Ending Serious Human Rights Violations in Nigeria. The project which is co-funded by the European Union and Agence Francaise De Developpment (AFD) has the Carmelites Prisoners Interest Organization (CAPIO) and Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) as partners. Under this position I have offered probono services to not less than 40 persons and still counting across the country in arrears of  Torture, Arbitrary detention and Extra Judicial Killings.

Besides Human rights cases, I have rendered legal services to several cooperate bodies and individuals across the country. Notable among the corporate clients are Bank of Agriculture Ltd, Fabena Resources Nig Ltd etc. I have also rendered legal services to the following professional bodies, represented them in various courts across the country, advised them and secured favourable judgments for them that have helped to shape the medical professional and their working relationship with their employers and the Federal Government. Notable among them are   National Association Of Resident Doctors (NARD), Association of Resident Doctors University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (ARD- UNTH), Jos University Teaching Hospital ( ARD-JUTH), University of Benin Teaching Hospital,(ARD-UBTH), Enugu State University Teaching Hospital,(ARD-ESUTH) Federal Medical Centre Umuahia (ARD-FMCU) and Federal neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu(ARD-FNHE) etc.

I  am a Bar man...
Besides my contribution in providing legal probono service  to the NBA via the Human Rights Institute, between the years 2012 to 2014, I served the Nigerian Bar Association, Enugu Branch as Social Secretary of the branch. It was during my  election for this office that I became popularly known as “Hakuna Matata” which means “No worries; Be Happy” among the members of the bar.  
I also served as the Secretary to the Bar Dinner Committee and has been a member of different committees of the bar.
Currently I am the Alternate Chairman of Human Rights Committee of the Nigerian Barr Association Enugu Branch. I attended and obtained Certificate of Participation in Nigerian Bar Association Institute of Continued Legal Education, 53rd Annual General Conference, with the theme “Law, Leadership and Challenge of Nationhood in the 21st Century Nigeria”. I attended and obtained Certificate of Participation in Nigerian Bar Association Institute of Continued Legal Education with the Support of Mac Arthur Foundation; Training on the New Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules (2009) and African Regional Mechanism for the promotion of Human Rights. I also   attended and participated in many annual conferences of the Nigerian Bar Association .
 *Beyond the Bar…* 
I am the Editor-in- Chief of AMEN Super Newspaper as well as Legal and Media Assistant to Adoration Ministry, Enugu Nigeria AMEN. I am Currently a member of the National Executives of Nigeria Football Supporters Club where I  hold the office of  National  Ex Officio.
I am also an Author and publisher of many books that have impacted so much on the youths and the society. Notable among my published works are:
 _“Citadel of Doom”_ a youth-moral targeted novel which I  authored and  published in 2004  that has contributed immensely in touching and molding the character of as many uncountable youths as have  read the book in many tertiary institutions in Nigeria where it has been recommended and used in General Studies Curriculum, namely,  University of Nigeria Nsukka, Federal College of Education Ehamufu, Enugu State College of Education Technical and other Higher Institutions across the nation.
 _“Great Heights within_ your Might” I  authored this un-put-down-able cornucopia. A Motivational Book  published in 2008, which has also been recommended and used in Post Primary School Education Curriculum for many years.  
“ _Black Fruit of the Orchard”_ A Novel Published in 2008 recommended and used in General Studies Curriculum some institutions of Higher Learning. 
 _“My Wife and I”_ An Inspirational Book on marriage and relationship,  Published in 2013

I have been a Key Note Speaker in some seminars and Workshops. In 2015 I was a Key note speaker  on “Medical Tourism “at OGM of Association of Resident Doctors in Nigeria, held on 28th May 2015. I have also been a Speaker at various youths and students programmes such as  University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Nursing week, Young Catholic Students of Nigeria week programme, Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria, Nsukka Diocese, etc.
I have also held several talk shows on radio, television  and other media on issues of human Rights and has been a guest speaker or resource person on invitation of many  reputable organizations.

The Welfare of Others gives me satisfactions. I  devoted my private and professional life to serve humanity. I am passionate about others welfare and do not turn away my eyes from the needy. I am actively  involvement in activities of Multi-Life Savers For the Less Privileged People, the official NGO of Adoration Ministry Enugu, founded by Rev Fr Ejike Mbaka which has assisted thousands of people across the nation irrespective of their tribes and religion  in many areas of human needs such as housing/shelter, payment of Hospital / medical Bills, Tuition Fees, award of scholarships, free legal services, skill acquisition etc. 
I have the desire to bring the experiences of my service to humanity to bear on the 
Maximum welfare of the members of the bar as you would see in my manifesto. I pray that the electoral committee of NBA having found me worthy for this position you shall do the needful come 16th July 2022.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REGISTRATION FOR THE AFRICAN BAR ASSOCIATION 2024 ANNUAL CONFERENCE BEGINS; TO TAKE PLACE IN ZAMBIA

KIDNAPPED ABUJA VICTIMS RESCUED INSIDE KADUNA FOREST

Breaking News: Enugu State Governor Peter Mbah Dismisses NYSC's Claim of Fake Certificate